Saturday, June 26, 2010

Navarre Florida - Day #7

Unbelievable! It doesn't seem possible that we've been here seven days already. Friday was our last full day in Navarre. We'll begin the journey back to NWA on Saturday morning. Our last full day was really nice.

We got up and around and headed for Destin to have one last breakfast at the Donut Hole. Everyone enjoyed the meal and we even grabbed some donuts for the trip home, although I doubt any of them actually make it back to NWA.

After breakfast we went to the beach and set up in a cabana to enjoy our last full day on the coast. It was a cool day. We saw some dolphin almost immediately and they stayed in the area most of the day. Then I was able to catch a couple of small jellyfish and the kids enjoyed seeing them. I got to enjoy a small jellyfish sting on my leg, but I guess that's what I get for jacking with them.

One of the neatest parts of the day was when we noticed what looked like a large dark cloud in the water that was moving down the beach. As it got closer, we realized it was a large school of Rays. There were probably 50-60 in the first group. We ended up seeing several schools throughout the day and I even got a chance to walk out in the water with the Rays as they went past. I wasn't aware they actually traveled in schools, but it's not surprising I didn't know that fact since the majority of my knowledge of marine life comes from Finding Nemo.

We spent about five hours at the cabana and enjoyed the ocean breezes as we relaxed in the shade. After going back to the park, the kids ended the day in the pool, as usual. We just can't believe it's about over. We've had a great week!

A pic from our cabana looking over the Gulf.

A school of Rays swimming along the beach in Navarre.

A little closer pic of a Ray at Navarre.


The school of Rays up close.

Melanie enjoying a book at the cabana on Navarre Beach.

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I have never seen a group of rays swim like that together. I am hoping we see some dolphins this week. Maybe we passed you at some point today. :) The beach is beautiful though we saw some oil that washed up tonight. Makes me so sad.

    ReplyDelete